Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol is considered a criminal offense in San Marcos. You can be charged with a DWI if you are drinking alcohol or under the influence of any drug that affects your ability to drive safely. In Texas, DWI laws are very specific and a DWI lawyer in San Marcos can help you with your unique case.
What is a DWI lawyer?
In short, A DWI lawyer is an attorney that understands DWI laws. But what is important is that an experienced DWI attorney will know the best arguments to make in court in order to have the best chance to reduce or even dismiss a DWI charge.
A DWI lawyer can help in the following ways:
- Help you understand the legal consequences involved with a DWI and explain to you what options you have
- Offer court representation and give you a fighting chance against the defense
- Fill out any required legal forms
- Schedule a court hearing
- File the necessary motions and legal proceedings
- Make arrangements for your case or even find witnesses to help your case
How much does a DWI lawyer cost?
Generally cost depends on the fee structure of a lawyer and amount of work involved in a case. Often DWI lawyers will charge with a flat fee or an hourly rate. When seeking a plea bargain, DWI lawyers usually charge anywhere from $750 to $2,000 in fees. It’s not uncommon for a trial to cost several thousand dollars. But, final or actual cost depends on how involved a particular case is. The complexity of a DWI can also be a factor in determining cost.
What to look for in a good DWI lawyer
There is no shortage of DWI lawyers in San Marcos. But there a certain questions you should ask a DWI lawyer if you considering hiring one. We, like most attorneys offer free consultations. At this time, while it is the time to explain your case to an attorney, it also the time to ask some question to determine if the attorney is a good fit for you.
In addition to general case questions, good questions specific to your DWI case that you may want to ask include:
- What type of experience do you have with a DWI case like mine?
- Are there any factors that can help my case?
- As a DWI lawyer in San Marcos, what plea would you recommend in my case?
- What are the possible outcomes of my DWI case? Worst case scenario? Best case scenario?
- What do you charge?
How long will it take to close my DWI case?
A DWI in San Marcos can last as quickly as one week or as long as a year or more. Factors that determine length include case complexity, how a person chooses to plead, and the schedule of the courts. The important thing to keep in mind is that despite how simple or complex your individual case may seem, seeking the counsel of an experience DWI attorney is almost always in your best interest to achieving the best possible outcome.