Being arrested or charged for a crime is a terrible feeling. But, if you or someone close to you is ever in this situation, a good criminal defense attorney can make a world of difference.
Here are signs to look for when seeking out a criminal defense attorney:
1. First of all, a good criminal defense attorney cares that a client’s rights are protected. Plain and simple. The attorney should take the necessary steps to make sure that a client is treated not only fairly, but justly. Things may not always go smoothly in court, particularity when dealing with criminal charges. But despite the severity of any charge, a good criminal defense attorney is going to fight for a client’s rights. This should be obvious to the client and within the courtroom.
2. A good criminal defense attorney does not care if their client “actually did something.” Of course criminal defendants want their attorney, along with everybody else, to believe they are innocent of a charge. However, rather than being concerned with whether a person is innocent or guilty, a good criminal defense attorney is more interested in protecting and fighting for defendants using their resources at hand. This ties back to point one – good criminal attorneys care about protecting people’s constitutional rights.
3. Good criminal defense attorneys don’t just stop with police reports. After receiving prosecution and police reports, this is where the work for a criminal defense attorney really begins. They should immediately start investigating any allegations along with a criminal investigator in a discovery process. At this point, the defense attorney is learning everything he or she possibly can about a case by talking to witnesses, gathering records, and any evidence related to the allegation. By going above and beyond simple reports and demanding more from prosecutors and other sources, criminal defense attorneys can really create major advantages for their clients.
4. A good criminal defense attorney insists that their client exercise the right to remain silent (also known as the Fifth Amendment). The client should not talk to anyone about the case, except their criminal lawyer and the investigator – that’s it. This is a delicate time and a lawyer can advise on what should be said at a given time, if anything.
5. Lastly, a good criminal defense attorney keeps their client constantly updated on whether or not they are looking at jail time. People being charged, especially with severe allegations, are at constant instability on whether being locked up is a likely possibility. By keeping clients constantly updated and showing them that they truly have their best interests in mind, criminal defense attorneys can set themselves apart from other criminal lawyers. Simply taking the time to meet with the client and discuss the case and options can help ease many worries and questions.
Need a good criminal defense attorney in San Marcos?
If you are looking for a criminal defense attorney in San Marcos, we highly encourage you to contact us. You can rest assured we will fight for your rights.