The truth is, it doesn’t matter much whether the charges you are facing or misdemeanor or felony. Hiring a criminal lawyer in San Marcos is a definite advantage. But you should not just hire any criminal lawyer. You should do your homework to ensure that the lawyer you hire is going to give you the best possible chance for a positive outcome in your case. Let’s review how to hire a criminal defense lawyer in San Marcos.
What are the advantages of hiring a criminal lawyer in San Marcos
In previous articles, we talked about your options if faced with a criminal charge. Aside from hiring a criminal defense attorney, the other options you have are self-representation or obtain the services of a public defender (court appointed attorney). In all honesty, the option that will give you the best chance of reducing your charges is to actually hire an attorney. Here are some advantages to hiring a criminal lawyer over other options:
- Simply put, criminal lawyers understand criminal law. They know what your options are and how to approach a case.
- They are able to gather evidence and use witnesses to help your defense.
- They understand what to do and what not to do in court.
- They will spend the necessary time with you to completely understand your case.
- They will develop strategies to best approach your case in court and defend your rights.
- Lastly, they are familiar with a case like yours. More often than not, a good criminal lawyer will have seen a similar case to yours and can help.
Questions to ask a criminal lawyer in San Marcos
Not all lawyers are created equal. When hiring a criminal lawyer, you want to be sure that who you are hiring is not only credible, but also has your best interests in mind. So how do you do that? You do that by asking the right questions. Here are some questions you may want to ask an attorney in a consultation before making a decision to hire.
- How long have you been practicing criminal law?
- What have your previous case results been like and can you give an example?
- Have you seen a case like mine before?
- What are my options?
- How often do you meet with your clients?
- What do your fees include?
- What makes you different from other criminal lawyers?
If you can get solid answers to all of these questions and feel confident after asking them, then you may have found an attorney you should consider hiring.
You’ve determined you need a criminal lawyer in San Marcos, so what next?
If at the end of this article you have determined that you need to hire a defense attorney, please contact us. We are dedicated to helping those in need and want to help you. Remember, when facing any sort of charge, you are not alone. The Law Office of Case J. Darwin Inc. will help you in time of need.